Third Party Liability Insurance
Third Party Liability Insurance was provided by law and implemented on July 1, 1976. It is an insurance system that the liability for death or bodily injury or property damage caused to any other person in the event of an accident occasioned by arising out of the use of the vehicle is transferred to Myanma Insurance on behalf of the vehicle of the owner.
The premium rating and the compensation amount are updated on August 1, 2016. The update premium rating may be different depending on the loaded passengers and the weight of vehicle (Tons). The premium is Kyats 5000.00 for minimum and Kyats 10000.00 for maximum for private vehicle. The premium is Kyats 10000.00 for minimum and Kyats 15000.00 for maximum for commercial vehicle. The update maximum compensation amount is as follows:
|For death caused to any other person
|For bodily injury caused to any other person
|For property damage caused to any other person
From April 1, 2022, the compensation rates are set at three times the current rate but the premium rate remains unchanged. The compensation rates are Kyats 3,000,000 for death caused to any person, Kyats 2,400,000 (maximum) for bodily injury caused to any other person, and Kyats 1,500,000 for property damage caused to any other person.
The documentations needed for the compensation process are downloaded and printed from Myanma Insurance website (www.Myanma insurance.gov.mm) and is available free of charge from Myanma Insurance Offices (division/ state/ district offices, including Head Office). If this evidence is fulfilled, you can apply for the compensation as soon as possible at Myanma Insurance Offices (division/ state/ district offices, including Head Office).
Myanma Insurance shall pay the indemnity to the Victim in the following order:
- Legal spouse
- Offspring (including adopted children)
- Brother and sisters
- Legal inheritor in accordance with the customary law of the Deceased, in case the Deceased had no brother nor sister
- In the case of a dispute about the question of law as regards the legal inheritor in (5) above, the beneficiary finally sanctioned by a court of law having jurisdiction over such a case.
Myanma Insurance shall not liable to pay any indemnity in respect of death, bodily injury or property damage directly or indirectly caused by or attributed to
- In respect of death or bodily injury of the driver
- who are not having driving license,
- who have Invalid license,
- who are not driving on a specified driver’s license,
- Motorcyclists driving in towns, roads, and territories where motorcycles are prohibited.
- The motorcyclist himself (in the process of being injured while driving more than two) including the driver of a motorcycle
- Who Crosses on the High-way
- Who Crosses the railway line, standing/ sitting/ lying on the railway line,
- Who jumps onto the train,
In demanding compensation for those killed and injured by motor vehicles, The following evidence must be presented in conjunction with the form of a compensation request, the form of a public hospital report, and the form of public police reports:
For death to any person,
- Death certificate copy
- The beneficiary’s identity card (copy) and the list of households (copy) containing the names of the deceased, the beneficiary, and the assigned person
- The premium books of the vehicles occurring accidents (copy) or premium payment certificate (copy) and valid driving license (copy) if the driver involves in accident
- Approval letters of the authorities who are from the quarters and townships (completed with rank seal and office seal) must include the following information:
- Describing the confirmation that the process of requesting compensation for the accident is correct;
- Describing the confirmation that the deceased, and the beneficiary or the assigned person live in the place the household list is or they live in the place where they currently live);
- Describing birth certificate (copy) (or school certificate) if the deceased is a child and has not been added to the household list;
- To present the original promissory note if the beneficiary is not according to the priority order of inheritance;
- To present the certification that the name is the same if there is a difference in the name of the deceased, the beneficiary and their parents;
- To present the approval letter that they die if the list of deceased mother/father names is not deleted on the household list;
- To present the approval letter that the deceased be the only legal wife/husband if he/she is married;
- To present approval letter that the claimant who is the current guardian of the deceased’s unmatured baby
- To present the confirmation letter that the request from the deceased’s parent (father/mother) is approved by the rest (father/mother) if the deceased is an unmarried or single;
- To present the confirmation letter that the request from the deceased’s child is approved by the rest of the siblings if the deceased’s spouse has died;
For bodily injury to any person,
- Medical Treatment book from Public Hospital (Copy)
- Identity card of the claimant (Copy)
- Approval letter from the authorities that the request from the road victim’s parent (father/mother) is approved by the rest (father/mother) if his age is under 18;
Since 1997, Vehicles entering Myanmar from other countries bordering Myanmar are collected Third-Party Liability premium at the border checkpoints (Myawaddy, Muse, Tachilek) in order to cover the losses occasioned by arising out of the use of the vehicles for the benefit of Myanmar’s people.
According to Chapter 6 (Section 17) of Third-Party Liability Insurance Rules, whoever fraudulently collects, attempts to collect or abets the claimant to collect a Third-Party Liability Insurance indemnity from Myanma Insurance shall be prosecuted in accordance with the existing laws.
Download Dead Form Download Third Party Liability Premium Rates Download Beneficiary Rates
The Implementation of ASEAN Framework Agreement on the Facilitation of Goods in Transit: Protocol-5 (ASEAN Scheme of Compulsory Motor Vehicle Insurance)
- According to ASEAN Framework Agreement on the Facilitation of Goods in Transit and GMS Cross-Border Transport Agreement, Myanma Insurance provides Compulsory Third-Party Liability Motor Insurance for the cross-border goods-carrying vehicles as well, and others which are entering not only into ASEAN countries but also into China and India.
- Myanma Insurance is now providing Compulsory Third-Party Liability Motor Insurance at transit areas such as Tamu, Myawaddy, Tachilek and Muse now and the customers can buy it via online platform very near future.
- To purchase TPL Insurance Cover at cross-border checkpoints, the customer must provide the documentation of the vehicle such as owner book, wheel-tax, Driving License that must be valid and qualified.
- The insurance period is one month and its cover will start when it enters Myanmar and will expire once it is left.
- The premium will calculate based on the types of the vehicles (e.g.: small for Kyats 30,000.00, medium for Kyats 50,000.00 and large for Kyats 70,000.00 with Myanmar Currency).
|(maximum) compensation amount for bodily injury per person
|Kyats 2.4 million (MMK)
|compensation amount for death per person
|Kyats 3 million (MMK)
|maximum compensation amount for property
|Kyats 1.5 million (MMK)
- Myanmar and Thailand signed Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation on cross-border motor vehicle insurance: Underwriting and claim settlement services on March 12, 2019.
- ASEAN members signed Memorandum of Underwriting for ASEAN Compulsory Motor Insurance (ACMI) which is the web-based electronics system that manages the issuance of cross border motor insurance and facilitates the information sharing between parties on October 11, 2021.
- Myanmar and Lao People’s Democratic Republic signed Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation on cross-border motor vehicle insurance: Underwriting and claim settlement services on December 8, 2022.
- Myanmar Insurance is collaborating with the RVP technical team in Thailand to sell Compulsory Third-Party Liability Motor Insurance through ASEAN Compulsory Motor Insurance (ACMI) system platform.
Cross Border Motor Insurance
Cross Border Motor Insurance covers the vehicle entering into Myanmar across the border or the vehicle entering from one foreign country to another country through Myanmar.
Third Party Liability Insurance covers against the owners of the automobiles under the Myanmar Compulsory Third Party Liability Insurance subject to the limits of liability terms, conditions of this insurance, which are death of or bodily injury to a Third Party and/or loss of or damage to property owned a Third Party resulting from an accident in the Union of Myanmar caused by arising out of the use of any one automobile during the period one month.
The maximum compensation amount for death per person is Kyats 3 million (MMK) and bodily injury per person is Kyats 2.4 million (MMK).
As the sum insured will be accepted in Myanmar currency Kyats, so the premium will be charged in Kyats. If loss occurs, it is informed Myanma Insurance immediately.